Recording Area Annual Totals

97 Species in 2013, 99 in 2012, 94 in 2011, 108 species were recorded in 2010;



Tuesday 27 October 2009

No sign of Hogback Wood Firecrests today

Sadly, no clear sign of Firecrest in Hogback Wood this afternoon, 2pm to 4pm. After the first hour, I was joined by a gentleman who lives near the wood and a little later on a third watcher arrived from deepest Oxfordshire.Like Wally and Lee yesterday, I did hear 'crest type sounds occasionally but no luck with anything other than the brief calls.

Between the area of the Holly + Rhododendron tree and the garden gate with the plaque, there were two very vocal and easily seen Coal Tit (first I have seen for a long time). There were also "flitterings" lower down in the nearby holly and shrubs but no Id was obtained.

Jays were half-hearted in their calls, a few chaffinch were amongst beech mast by the roadside (Holtspur Lane) and a single Ring-necked Parakeet flew over heading into town. Also Buzzard calling locally and likely Sparrowhawk seen briefly through the treetops.

Nice to see a small group of children having fun in the wood. Reminded me of my younger days some 45+ years ago when I used to cycle down the edges of the chalk pit on the edge of the wood near the railway line.

Dropping in to Penn Wood on my way home, I found no Brambling (yet) but saw my first two Redwing of the season. The local 5+ Tawny Owls in and beyond adjacent Charcoal Grove were in good voice at 5:15pm. (Kevin Holt)

No comments: